Attention! Before you get down to the list of best USB microphones, we strongly recommend to study a piece of information below and not to ignore it, as it contains a lot of useful information which will allow you to make a right choice of a microphone. Also all of the microphones presented below are relevant for use in 2017 and they have contemporary settings of sound recording.
In the past, professionals and amateurs constantly wondered: “Why can’t we connect a microphone to computer as easy as a mouse?” Manufacturers heard them and responded to the question by production of various models of USB microphones. Most of them work without presets: turn on and use. There was no need in additional audio devices. All you may need is an available USB port and a software for recording, and you don’t even have to install the drivers.
While working with USB microphones, you should take into account the following features:
– There can be a possible delay of a signal from 0 seconds to 1 second (depending on a model of microphone and of a cord);
– You should not connect a USB microphone to a USB hub – these microphones require only a direct connection to a USB port;
– A USB cord cannot be too long (only 3-5 meters): this is a structural feature;
– Most models do not allow to adjust directly a microphone recording level, which may occur some inconvenience;
– The majority of models have no headphone output: this means that to listen to audio material during recording is impossible, or you will have to listen to a playback signal from a built-in sound card if you have one.
However, all these inconveniences are not so important, because there are a lot of advantages:
– A quality of any built-in sound interface of microphones, offered by us, far exceeds a quality of a built-in motherboard sound card. And, of course, the main advantage is that you do not have to buy expensive external sound interfaces.
– Mentioned microphones do not require phantom power (they are powered through USB);
– Questions like “Is a microphone connected?” do not rise, because there is an indicator on the microphone. Some USB microphones are equipped with a Mute button – it solves the problem even better;
– Most importantly – ease of use (through Plug-and-Play technology) and affordable price.
About monitoring. It is allowed to use both a USB microphone and a built-in sound card. You will hear a phonogram and your recorded voice through a headphone output of a built-in sound card. Of course, a quality leaves much to be desired – noise and non-linearity cannot be removed, but most importantly – your vocals are digitized correctly, you will mix it with a software (a sound card does not affect) and a final track, filled in your player or in YouTube videos, will sound decent in the end.
How to choose a USB microphone properly and to what you should pay attention:
Your budget. This is one of the main parameters which is limited for almost every customer. In our list you can find microphones of every price category. For example: small compact microphones that are easy to take with you when you travel – they are quite cheap and provide a decent quality of sound. However, with our best USB microphones rating, you will be able to find some semi-professional and professional microphones with high recording quality, price of which is a little higher and also you can find options that will not hit your wallet. We spent a lot of time in compiling our list of top 15 best usb microphones, studying the reviews on the forums and in the store, so we can confidently say that each of them is really worth its money.
The intended usage. It is very important to determine for what purpose you will use a USB microphone. For example, if you want to record vocals, musical instruments or obtain high-quality audio for your home video – you should choose at least a semi-professional USB microphone with a mount for a microphone stand. If you want to use your microphone for domestic purposes such as voice chat in games, Skype or recording podcasts, you need a small microphone with a tripod stand for your desk or mounting to the monitor. In the case when you need to connect a USB microphone to your iOS device for improved sound recording in video or to capture audio track by using apps such as Garage Band, Rode rec, etc., you can find information in our best usb microphones list if a microphone is compatible with iOS under each mic model.
Polar Pattern. The most common polar pattern today is Cardioid (75% of microphones are designed with a cardioid directivity). It is worth noting that most modern microphones have switchable polar patterns. If you are wondering “What polar pattern is more preferable for you?” – here is brief descriptions of each of the polar pattern. Also in our list of best usb microphones we have included mics with switchable polar patterns, such as: Blue Yeti Pro, Samson C03U and Blue Snowball.
- Cardioid / Unidirectional: a cardioid is the most commonly used mode. If you record vocals, a podcast, or a voiceover, a cardioid is the best choice. When recording in this mode, a sound is captured directly in front of a microphone, while sounds from the right and left are not captured. Therefore, a sound source should be placed in front of a microphone. A cardioid mode will allow you to achieve a very clean and decent sound, but it does not transmit airiness or a presence effect.
- Omnidirectional: An omnidirectional mode allows picking up a sound evenly from all sides. This mode is perfect for recording groups of musicians playing simultaneously, recording a conversation between multiple people in the same room, for conference calls, or any other situations where you want to create a presence effect. As a sound is captured from all sides, a microphone position is not critical, but nevertheless, it is better to direct front of the microphone at the primary sound source you wish to record.
- Bi-Directional: In a bi-directional mode, a microphone picks up sound from the front and back sides of the microphone while sounds from the sides are not captured. Bi-directional mode is very useful in order to achieve a soft sound of musical instruments, perfect for recording an interview with two or more interlocutors.
We hope all of the information presented above will help you to formulate more specific opinion about USB microphones.
Now let’s get down to our TOP 15 Best USB Microphones
(The list below includes professional microphones with excellent recording quality that we do recommend to purchase: having bought one of them you will not regret about your choice. Hope you’ll found best USB microphones exactly for your situation.)
15. BEHRINGER C-1U Condenser USB Microphone
- Professional condenser cardioid microphone with bit depth / sample rate 16-bit / 48kHz and enlarged membrane
- High transparency of sound during recording and flat frequency response (40Hz – 20kHz)
- High overload capacity with maximum sound pressure
- Low-noise transformerless FET-scheme of the input cascade
- Cast housing and robust construction provides durability of this device
- Phantom Power LED Indicator
- Package bundle includes Behringer C-1 microphone, USB cable, mic mount and adapter for stand, Kristal and Audacity software editors also comes in package
Our list of top 15 best USB microphones opens by BEHRINGER C-1U microphone. It is a USB condenser microphone with a cardioid directivity. It is a continuation of a famous model C-1. This microphone gives an opportunity to solve issues with recording acoustic instruments, directional vocal recording and speech. The model is specially designed to prevent extraneous sounds to make a record cleaner. The microphone is used to work on Mac and PC platforms. A transducer of pressure gradient mode is protected from damage by a special membrane. A high resolution and smooth frequency response allows to avoid equalization. A great advantage of this model is phantom power through USB interface and a built-in 16-bit / 48kHz USB audio interface. They give an undeniable advantage during a post-processing of a sound and direct recording to the computer. C-1U is equipped with software editors Kristal and Audacity.
14. Samson Meteor USB Studio Microphone
- Cardioid polar pattern and large 25-mm condenser diaphragm for recording “deep and clear” sound with 16-bit / 44,1-48kHz bit depth, sample rate
- Smooth, flat frequency response in the range from 20Hz to 20kHz
- Construction with foldable legs ensures optimal microphone position on the table
- Durable chrome casing and unique design resembling a meteorite
- Connects directly to any PC or Laptop via USB input, no drivers required, also compatible with most DAW software and control programs
- Stereo 1/8 “mini-jack headphone output for monitoring direct sound without delay with the volume control for headphones combined with the “mute” button on the housing of microphone
- Connectivity with iOS devices via Apple Camera Connection Kit
- Package bundle includes Samson Meteor microphone, USB cable, carrying pouch
It could be a crime if we would not included Samson Meteor in our list of best usb microphones as this model is one of the most populat mics all over the world and it’s also a bestseller. Samson Meteor is a universal solution for recording music on your PC / Laptop and capturing audio with DAW software. Meteor is perfect for your home studio, Skype, iChat or voice recognition software. With Meteor you can make incredible recordings! The microphone has one of the largest condenser diaphragms (25mm) that allows you to create excellent audio recordings for any applications. Having a cardioid directivity, smooth frequency response and 16-bit resolution 44.1 / 48kHz, Samson Meteor gives you professional results regardless of what you are recording. A chrome plated case of Meteor looks amazing and stylish on your desktop. You can easily adjust three legs with rubber pads to record acoustic guitar or vocals. Also, the microphone is equipped with a stereo 1/8-inch (3.5 mm) headphone jack. A mute button provides you with privacy during audio and video conferences. Through the mount adapter in the bottom of the microphone, it can be attached on a table microphone stand or boom stand. In Amazon store Samson Meteor is available in three color schemes: Chrome, Brushed Nickel, Titanium Black.
13. CAD U37 USB Condenser Microphone
- 16-bit / 48kHz bit depth and sample rate and large condenser capsule for warm and saturated audio recording which is great for vocal, speech and instruments
- Unidirectional polar pattern reduces extraneous noise and isolates the main sound source
- Flat and extended frequency response from 20Hz to 20kHz
- -10dB PAD and low frquency roll off switches on the microphone housing which are great features for overload protection and room noise reduction
- Compatible with Windows and Mac, no drivers required just plug-and-play
- Cast housing with metal grille, also well looking design of the construction and availability in eight color schemes: gray, black, orange white, cammo, candy apple, champagne, red & white
- Package bundle includes CAD U37 microphone, 3 meter USB cable and microphone table stand
CAD Audio has introduced a condenser microphone U37, which is able to provide a studio-quality sound without having to install additional hardware and drivers. This device lets you easily record podcasts, voice-over texts, to make a rehearsal recording. You can also use it for creating podcasts or recording audio tracks for video, for a voice chat. A condenser capsule of 2/3″ with a light membrane provides a good detailing. It also includes a switchable LF filter and attenuator.
The unidirectional microphone CAD U37 USB has two switches that are placed in front panel of housing:
The first one allows you to reduce the sensitivity of the microphone for high-quality and clean recording of very loud sources of sound. For example, the switch should be in the position of “-10” for loud voices, percussion and other sound sources with high sound pressure levels. For voices of normal volume and string instruments, a switch position “0” is preferred. If a recording came out not clean or distorted, set the switch to “-10” and re-record.
The second switch is designed to reduce the reception of low frequency sounds. In most cases, the switch should be in position “Normal Bass”. However, if you want to remove wind noise, ventilation, to reduce low frequencies during recording, the position of the switch should be set to “Bass Reduction”.
12. Samson C03U Multi-Pattern USB Condenser Microphone
- Large 19mm dual condenser diaphragm with 16-bit / 48kHz bit depth/sample rate hiqh quality converter
- Flat and smooth frequency response from 20Hz to 18kHz tailored for speech, vocals and any acoustic instrument
- Three switchable polar patterns: cardioid, omnidirectional, bidirectional
- -10dB PAD and low frequency roll off switches on mic housing
- Compatible with Windows and Mac OS, no drivers and extra gear needed, also compatible with most DAW software
- Die-cast solid housing with metal mesh grill
- Package bundle includes Samson C03U microphone, clip mount for mic, USB cable, mic stand for table, carry pouch
Samson C03U is a condenser studio microphone with an interchangeable polar pattern and USB interface. Based on a popular C03 studio microphone. Samson C03U model delivers a crystal clear sound and enhanced opportunities (switchable HF filter), adding to that a quality ADC converter and USB output.
The microphone is perfect for recording vocals or any acoustic instrument. An opportunity to choose a polar pattern makes it suitable for many special situations, such as recording multiple vocalists, dubbing rooms and even recording a podcast with many people at the conference table. Samson C03U works on any computer with Mac OS X or Windows, and with most audio software, without having to install any additional software or driver. The official website of Samson has an available application SoftPre that adds additional settings (level of input signal, volume, HF filter and phase switch). If it is not set, it uses a standard operating system driver.
11. Blue Snowball USB Microphone
- 16bit depth / 44.1kHz sample rate and frequency response from 40Hz to 18kHz tailored for vocal, speech and music instruments
- Specially designed dual capsule with switchable polar patterns: cardioid, omnidirectional and cardioid with -10dB PAD
- Plug and play to Mac or Windows, don’t need drivers to install, also suitable with iPad and iPhone in conjunction with Apples Camera Connection Kit
- Metal round housing looks like real snowball with retro elements in design, also available in six color schemes: white, brushed aluminum, bright orange, electric blue, gloss black, neon green
- Package bundle includes Blue Snowball mic, USB cable, tripod stand
In our list of top 15 best USB microphones it is not the first and not the last microphone from the Blue company, as they are producing brilliant usb mics. Blue Snowball is a professional USB microphone that is not only easy to use but it sounds as good on your desktop as in a recording studio. The Snowball microphone from Blue Microphone is number one USB microphone at world market. A unique design (available in 6 colors) and proprietary condenser capsule developed by Blue allows you to switch between polar patterns: cardioid, cardioid with -10dB pad or omnidirectional. USB Snowball condenser microphone from the company Blue Microphones is designed for a wide range of applications. Connect the microphone to a desktop or laptop computer for use at home, office – anywhere – and get unprecedented sound quality. Crystal clear sound provided by the brand capsule allows you to cope with your tasks at a professional level: recording vocals and musical instruments, conducting podcasts and broadcasts, voicing TV series, cartoons and audio books, online communication in voice chat.
Just plug to your PC or Laptop running Windows or MacOS and start working – the microphone is ready to work without any drivers. Blue Snowball also able to work with Apple iPad with using the adapter Apple’s iPad Camera Connection Kit. A convenient stand representing an adjustable tripod (which comes with the microphone in the box) provides stability on your desktop. The cable of 1.8 m length provides sufficient freedom of location.
10. Shure MV5 Digital Condenser Microphone
- Maximum resolution of the recorded audio: 24-bit / 48kHz
- 16-millimeter capsule, providing “best in its class sound quality”
- Cardioid polar pattern and wide frequency response 20Hz-20kHz
- Three switchable DSP modes: Voice, Instrument and Flat
- Headphone output for real-time monitoring
- The MV5 receives power from the connected device via the USB or Lightning connector
- Removable table stand made of anodised aluminum
- Low-profile design and modern-retro style, also microphone is available in two color schemes: black with red foam, grey with black foam
- Package bundle includes Shure MV5 microphone, USB cable, Lightning cable, table stand
A digital condenser microphone Shure MV5 is designed for quick and easy portable use with Mac or Windows, and also able to work with iOS and Android devices. It should be noted that the microphone has excellent performance and at the same time it is not deprived of the attention of designers. The microphone is designed in a typical for the manufacturer retro-industrial style that has become a hallmark of Shure after producing a legendary Bullet models 520, SH55 and Model 51. Outwardly, the microphone looks good: it is compact and does not occupy much space on your desktop.
According to the manufacturer, the model MV5 is perfect for recording vocals, podcasts and music, and for chatting in the video chat. The device has three built-in DSP presets (Vocals, Flat, Instrument) that provide optimal settings for almost any sound sources with great result from any attempt. Also, on the case, there is located a “Mute” key and a “Mode” button to switch the DSP presets, there is a wheel of volume control for monitoring with headphones. A headphone output allows monitoring in real time. The design of low profile and detachable table stand provide device with flexibility and portability. MV5 comes with cable Micro-B / USB for connection to PC, Mac or Android and cable Micro-B / Lightning to connect to Apple iOS devices. It should also be noted that there is a free ShurePlus Motiv app for iOS which provides full integration with this microphone.
9. Shure MV51 Digital Large-diaphragm Condenser Microphone
- Cardioid polar pattern and wide frequency response from 20Hz to 20kHz is suitable for recording speech, vocals and acoustic instruments
- Built-in ADC 24-bit / 48kHz and DSP with several presets: Speech, Singing, Flat, Acoustic Instrument and Loud
- Headphone output for direct sound monitoring during recording
- Built-in stand for mounting on the work surface
- Touch panel on the facade to control the level of the gain, Mute function and volume control of the headphone output
- Compatible with any standard microphone stand
- Strong metal construction and vintage design
- Package bundle includes Shure MV51 microphone, USB cable and Lightning cable, also you can download free ShurePlus iOS app
It is a second device from Shure brand in our list of best usb microphones and it’s also from the same microphone innovative line called “MOTIV”. Shure MV51 is a digital condenser microphone for recording on computer and Apple devices. The digital condenser microphone Shure MV51 with a wide directional diagram is designed for high quality sound recording on MAC, PC, IOS and Android devices. A touch panel provides easy access to microphone settings, it includes 5 presets (Speech, Singing, Smooth characteristics, Acoustic instrument, Loud sound) for optimal recording results, adjusting microphone sensitivity, function “mute” and control of the headphone output. 25 mm capsule delivers excellent recording that is easy to estimate in real time, without delay, using the built-in 3.5 mm headphone output.
A bright, vintage-inspired design and all-metal case includes an integrated stand compatible with microphone stands, making MV51 a perfect device for home recording, which provides maximum convenience at minimum cost.
8. Blue Spark Digital Lightning Condenser Microphone
- Legendary condenser capsule, brand electronic components and 16bit / 44kHz ADC converter from Blue company provides warm and saturated sound
- Wide frequency response from 26Hz to 20kHz tailored for vocals, speech and instruments
- Headphone 3.5mm jack output for direct sound monitoring
- Mute button, gain control, headphone volume control, focus control switch on front microphone panel
- Plug ‘n’ Play for iOS devices, Windows and Mac OS, no drivers needed
- LED indicator provides visual feedback of sound level
- Microphone construction and desktop stand made of high quality metal components
- Includes Blue’s Cloud Production Bundle for online sharing, sound back-up and audio work
- Package bundle includes Blue Spark Digital microphone, USB cable, Lightning cable, unique desktop stand with shock mount, carrying pouch
Spark Digital is the world’s first studio condenser microphone which can be connected via USB or a lightning connector to iOS device. As a version of the Spark microphone, which is equipped with XLR, Spark Digital condenser has a condenser capsule of studio level. It has components built manually, which allows to achieve high quality, detailed and uncolored sound like when you record sources such as vocals, drums, piano, speech, voice video, podcasts, recording outside the studio, and many others.
Spark Digital also has a function Focus Control: by pressing the button, you can change the sound characteristics of the microphone. The set comes with stand, built-in shock mount and Y-cable for both platforms, with a headphone output for monitoring without delay. Through the capabilities of Spark Digital, your iPad or iPhone will turn into a real recording studio.
7. Apogee MiC 96k Studio Quality Microphone
- Studio-grade cardioid condenser microphone with high quality ADC converter 24-bit / 96kHz
- PureDIGITAL technology provides high sound quality for recording voice and acoustic instruments
- Microphone preamplifier with gain up to 40dB
- Easy plug-n-play installation in a few minutes and compatibility with с iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and Mac (Be carefull we have special notice below)
- The Gain control knob provides easy adjustment of the input level
- Multi-color LED for status indication and input level monitoring
- All metal construction
- Package bundle includes Apogee MiC 96k, Lightning cable, iOS 30-pin cable, USB cable, mic clip, table tripod stand
Apogee Electronics has introduced MiC 96k, a professional digital condenser microphone for iPad, iPhone, Mac and Windows. The new product is designed for recording vocals, acoustic guitar, piano, drums, voice-over and so on. MiC 96k has the same look and portable form factor as the original MiC, introduced in 2011, but it provides an ability to make crystal and higher in quality recording, supporting modes up to 24-bit / 96kHz. It includes complete adapter for microphone stand. The microphone is presented in a sturdy metal case with a metal grille which protects a microphone diaphragm. The case has a Gain switch to adjust a volume level of the incoming signal. There is LED indicator on microphone housing which shows readiness to record.
Attention! Microphone version of 2014 is not compatible to work with your PC and Windows platform. Version of 2014 year works only with MAC OS, iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch. If you want to use Apogee MiC 96k with your PC or Laptop on Windows you’ll need to buy version of 2016 year, but version of 2016 year does not have connectivity with iOS devices, it’s only compatible to work with Windows and Mac OS. We think it’s a little wrong to create several versions of a microphone for different devices. So we leave links on models of 2014 / 2016 year below.
6. Blue Yeti Pro USB Multipattern Microphone
- High quality ADC converter woth highest recording resolution in 24-bit depth / 192kHz sample rate
- Construction with three capsules and 4 switchable polar patterns: Stereo, Cardioid, Omnidirectional, Bidirectional
- Wide frequency response from 20Hz to 20kHz, every polar pattern has its own parameters of frequency response
- XLR and USB output
- Zero latency headphone output for direct audio monitoring
- Mute button, master volume control, gain control and polar pattern selector located on the microphone housing
- Package bundle includes Blue Yeti Pro microphone, desktop stand, USB cable and stereo XLR breakout cable
We have not included in our list of best USB microphones a classic Blue Yeti as it has not been updated and slightly out of date in its technical specifications, but it’s still one of the most popular microphones in the world. In our rating got an updated version of the Blue Yeti Pro. The main trick of this popular model is in use an array of three proprietary 14mm capsules, which enables switching between four polar patterns (cardioid, circular, “eight” and stereo mode). Also, Yeti Pro has a high-quality analog-to-digital converter and an ability to record audio at resolutions up to 24-bit / 192kHz. In addition to the USB interface, the microphone features a headphone output for hardware monitoring with zero latency and analog XLR output. The latter allows you to connect Yeti Pro to a separate MIC preamp or audio interface.
5. RODE Podcaster USB Dynamic Microphone
- Dynamic (neodymium capsule 28mm) microphone for podcasting with digital USB output and 18-bit depth / 8-48kHz sample rate ADC converter
- Cardioid polar pattern and frequency response 40Hz-14kHZ designed especially for speech
- 5mm stereo headphone jack with volume control on the housing
- Compatibility with Windows and Mac OS X, also can be connected to iOS devices via powered USB hub and Camera Connection Kit
- Heavy metal housing and internal shockproof fastening provides great durability
- 10 Year warranty
- Package bundle includes RODE Podcaster microphone, USB cable, RM2 ring mount
With a rapid development of podcasting, more and more companies offer new products for both beginners and professionals. It is a new product from professional manufacturer RODE Microphones. The name of the Podcaster has arisen from analogy with another known model Broadcaster, which is a professional condenser microphone for studio broadcasting. Podcaster is a dynamic USB microphone that combines broadcast quality audio with a simplicity of USB connection, allowing recording directly to a computer without additional digital interface. RODE Podcaster converts all analog signals into a digital at 18-bit resolution and 48kHz sample rate, bypassing low quality computer sound card. On the case of the microphone, there is a headphone output, so a user can accurately hear what’s being recorded without delay or reverb. A frequency response of this microphone is specially designed for voice and is perfect for recording everything related to speech.
Also RODE Podcaster is equipped with an internal pop filter, designed to minimize explosive sounds that can overload the capsule and distort the audio output. The microphone is fully compatible with Windows and Mac OS X. It can be used as an iPad microphone for Apple iPad. Although this microphone is slightly limited in its use and will be suitable mainly for podcasters and for working with speech, but it deserves a high position in our rating of best usb microphones due its unexcelled qulity.
4. Blue Raspberry Premium USB Microphone
- Condenser electret 14mm type of capsule and cardioid polar pattern with 24bit/48kHz ADC converter provides high quality sound in any situation
- Frequency response from 20Hz to 20000 Hz
- Maximum sound pressure level is 120dB
- Gain button adjustment range from 0dB to 40dB, Mute button and 3.5mm stereo headphone jack with volume control
- Unique premium design with shock mount table stand
- Package bundle includes Blue Raspberry microphone with table stand, USB cable and Lightning cable, soft suede carrying case, ring mount adapter for another boom stands
In our top 15 best usb microphones list, there are a lot of microphones from Blue since this brand is the best at producing USB microphones. In 2016, the company Blue Microphones has released a compact condenser USB microphone Raspberry equipped with membranes with electronics schemes of premium level from the manufacturer, compatible with iPhone / iPad and computers on Windows and Mac. This model provides a record at resolutions up to 24-bit/48 kHz and can be used to create podcasts, recording audio, voice-over, and recording vocals and instruments. Users will be able to combine BLUE RASPBERRY with a video camera or video tripod to get the ability to record video with sound for YouTube or other portals.
A proprietary technology Internal Acoustic Diffuser (IAD) and optional foldable stand are key features of Blue Raspberry. The first one allows you to minimize background noise, and the second one protects the microphone from vibrations of the surface due to the shock-absorbing legs. In addition, the stand provides extra protection during transport. Among other features of the Raspberry we should note the presence of the gain knob with a button “Mute” and headphone outputs with separate volume control for monitoring with no latency.
3. Audio-Technica AT2020USBi Cardioid Condenser Microphone
- Condenser microphone with cardioid pattern and digital output for easy recording
- High-quality analog-to-digital converter 24bit depth / 96kHz sample rate
- The gain controller is located directly on the microphone body
- Smooth and extended frequency response from 20Hz to 20kHz tailored for podcasting, home studio recording, field recording and voiceover use
- Declared compatibility with Windows 10, Mac OS 10.6 and iOS 7.02 or more recent versions of these operating systems
- Package bundle includes Audio-Technica AT2020USBi microphone, table stand with foldable legs, USB cable, Lightning Cable, mic clip mount, leather carrying case
The “Bronze” place in our best USB microphones list our editorial board has appropriated to Audio-Technica AT2020USBi microphone. The company Audio-Technica presented a condenser microphone with a USB interface AT2020USBi at the event Prolight + Sound 2015. AT2020USBi is a cardioid condenser USB microphone, compatible with iOS. Created on the basis of a popular model AT2020, the new microphone allows you to perform recordings with high quality and can connect to various computers and mobile devices. AT2020USBi has AD Converter 24 bit/96 kHz, through which it ensures a high intelligibility and accuracy of sound transmission and is ideal for recording in home studios, creating podcasts and voice-over, recording of vocals and instruments. AT2020USBi comes with USB and Lightning cables, so it is possible to get out of the box and immediately start working: to begin recording audio on any device PC, Mac or iOS device in digital format. Also on the case of AT2020USBi, there is a convenient slider to adjust the microphone gain.
2. AKG Perception 120 USB Microphone
- Condenser 2/3 inch membrane with a low-mass diaphragm for transmission for more detailed audio
- Integrated high-quality analogue/digital converter 24-bits / 44.1-48kHz (128x oversampling) for convincing audio quality and a small amount of noise
- Low cut filter switch for reduction of mechanical effects, vibrations
- Attenuation PAD switch for loud sound sources such as close up vocals and loud acoustic instruments
- Built in pop filter for unpleasant sounds reduction
- Just Plug and Play, no drivers required, also compatibility with Windows and Mac OS
- Package bundle includes AKG Perception 120 USB microphone, tripod stand for desktop surface, USB cable, swivel clip mount
The second place of our top 15 best USB microphones rating we honestly assigned to AKG Perception 120 USB. It is a cross functional studio cardioid condenser microphone with a built-in high-quality 24-bit (128 multirate sampling) analog-to-digital converter. The microphone is perfect for use in home recording studios for recording vocals, musical instruments, speech, podcasts, voice-over, as it is equipped with a condenser capsule 2/3″ with a light membrane, which subsequently provides good detailing. Vocal microphones by AKG are known worldwide for its quality and clear sound, accurately transmitting all voice and vocal patterns. All products of the Austrian company AKG is known for high quality and extremely low noise threshold.
Due to the efficient system of shielding, the microphone AKG Perception 120 USB is protected from exposure of electromagnetic fields. Such interferences usually can create video monitors, fluorescent lighting and other electrical appliances. The microphone has a firm steel construction that provides high stability in operation. The design also has an internal pop filter, switchable low-cut low-pass filter and attenuator (these are the switches on the device).
1. RODE NT-USB Condenser Microphone
- Cardioid polar pattern, wide frequency response from 20Hz to 20kHz and AD converter 16-bit / 48kHz provides professional quality of your recording
- JFET impedance converter with bipolar output buffer
- Improved recording quality through a Pop Filter
- 3.5mm jack for headphone connection makes it possible to control the recording without delay
- Headphone amplifier with volume control button
- Mix control button on mic housing, you can to monitor direct microphone sound or monitor sound from your PC with this feature
- Compatibility with Windows and Mac OS, no drivers required, also can be connected to iPad via Apple Camera Connection Kit
- LED indication of operation
- Package bundle includes RODE NT-USB mic, 6m USB cable, pop filter, tripod stand for desktop surface, clip mount for microphone, leather carrying pouch
The first place in our top 15 best USB microphones list is taken by RODE NT-USB because this microphone has all the necessary functions that should have a USB microphone: it has a very good completing units and this is the best offer on the market in the category of RODE NT-USB today. RODE Microphones has introduced the universal condenser USB microphone Side Address (a membrane is placed in a plane parallel to the body) – NT-USB. The microphone is good for recording vocals and musical performances, as well as podcasting and audio.
The microphone is fully compatible with all major recording applications for PCs running Windows and Mac OS and Apple iPad using RODE Rec, GarageBand, or any software for recording that works with external microphone. To use it with the iPad, you should have a USB adapter, like Apple Camera Connection Kit. NT-USB has an output for stereo headphones (3.5 mm jack) with zero latency, which allows you to monitor the microphone in real time, and adjust the monitoring level and mix. The set includes a pop filter, which is mounted on the base of the microphone, being located at an ideal distance from the capsule to minimize the “explosive” consonants. Also there is a stand with 3/8″ thread, desktop tripod and a pouch for storing the microphone.
+ Bonus (The microphones which were not included in our list of Best USB Microphones, but deserve your attention)
Razer Seiren USB Digital Microphone (Best USB microphone for Gamers or Twitch Streamers)
We have not included this microphone in our main list of 15 best usb microphones since it is more suitable for gamers and people who are associated with the gaming community. Razer Seiren offers huge opportunities: high quality sound recording fully the appropriate to studio level and at the same time recording can be performed at home and office. Convenient leg of firm aluminum allows to record or stream without the use of additional supports. The digital microphone is designed to deliver exceptional sound clarity and is very popular among musicians and actors, and ordinary users.
The microphone has special 14 mm condenser capsules, configured in such a way that allows you to create four different patterns of entry. Able to record top quality sound with incredible clarity at all levels, Razer Seiren is the best choice for beginner and experienced streamer or gamer. The device allows the user to record in the format of 192kHz / 24-bits, which provides a great perception of each word, melody and so on. Razer Seiren is equipped with a dedicated headphone amplifier that works with any headset with 3.5 mm jack. This feature allows you to listen to audio of the user in real time, and sound controllers in the microphone provide a quick configuration of the above-mentioned amplifier and of sound at all frequencies and levels.
Various devices for recording are demanding to specific conditions which require re-setting of the microphone. Razer Seiren allows you to quickly switch between 4 different modes: Cardioid, Stereo, Omnidirectional, Bidirectional, changing them with a single controller.
Samson GO Portable USB Condenser Microphone
We have already talked about USB microphones like Audio Technica 2020 USBi and Blue Yeti Pro in our best usb microphones list above — both are well suited microphones for voice recording, so that they can be recommended for the creators of podcasts. However, there are cases when it is necessary to have on hand a portable microphone that you can put in your pocket. The microphone should be small and it should provide a good quality sound and have a very advanced functionality as well. For these parameters the microphone Samson Go is suitable: when it is folded, it easily fits in the palm of your hand.
Created from high quality components and thoroughly tested, Go Mic offers a crisp, professional sound recognition. Through a switchable polar pattern (cardioid, circular), you can choose a more suitable diagram for a particular situation. Use a cardioid pattern when recording a podcast, acoustic guitar or vocals, or use an omni-directional diagram to capture the entire room, whether you are jamming with your band, or host an online meeting with several participants. In addition, with frequency response of 20Hz – 18kHz and a resolution at 16-bit / 44.1kHz, you can be assured that you are getting professional audio with a compact device.
Blue TIKI USB Condenser Microphone
- CD Audio quality with 16-bit / 44.1kHz resolution and wide frequency response 40Hz – 20kHz
- This device has two condenser capsules using DSP technology
- Brings your voice to the first plan, using the voice distinguishing technology and noise reduction system
- Increases the clarity of voice while using online communication in Skype or iChat, as well as in programs for speech recognition
- Reduces the noise of computer fans, and also mutes the noise of keyboard when you typing, automatically recognizing it
- A multi-colored LED indicates the status and mode of the microphone
- Compatibility with PC and Mac OSX, USB 2.0 / 3.0 port
- Ultra-compact USB microphone with a length of less than 8cm
- Package bundle includes Blue TIKI microphone, USB cable and protective case for transporting and storage
We did not find it necessary to include this device in our best USB microphones list since we consider that it is not full-fledged microphone, but Blue TIKI is a very interesting mini-mic to be recognized. The Blue TIKI condenser USB microphone is the world’s first microphone that mimics the intelligence of the human ear, focusing on the desired sounds, minimizing unwanted noise and knowing when to turn off the sound. Blue Tiki mic works in two modes, which is very convenient for both Skype users and musicians. Intelligent “Speech Mode” brings your voice to the forefront of a conference call or chat, while noise reduction technology simultaneously minimizes unwanted background noise. The second mode is “Natural Recording Mode” allows you to capture a full range of sounds, from vocals, recording acoustic guitar, or recording high-quality sound with exceptional clarity. Blue Tiki is a unique microphone, which sets a new standard for crystal clear sound.
On the purchase of microphone, the equipment of home studio does not end there. We sincerely recommend you to buy eventually (but better to do it immediately) the following useful accessories:
- Pop Filter. This is such a wonderful thing, though it is unfairly called “a spitter”, but in fact it is used to protect from the explosive consonants such as “B” and “P” when recording at studio and protects the entry from the existence of unwanted clicks. We recommend Dragonpad USA Pop filter. It has a round, plastic frame size of 6.3″, and covered with black gauze on both sides and provides excellent noise suppression. Easily attaches to the desk using the clamp, also available in 7 color schemes. The quality and functional features are far superior to closest competitors. This pop filter is really cheap and it’s best seller in Amazon store with tones of positive reviews.
- Microphone Stand. Despite the fact that some microphone stands are included in the box, they are sometimes inconvenient to use. Usually they are very short, you have to reach out for it and there is no possibility of attaching the pop filter mentioned above. So, do not spare money on more durable, functional and high quality microphone stands, such as On Stage MS7701B Tripod Boom microphone stand. Its foundation is iron with die-cast zinc clutch locks and boom’s lenth is 76cm and its adjustable height is 36 to 63 inches (91cm to 160cm). We also have our top 10 microphone scissor boom arm stands article / rating, where you can find good stand for your workplace table.
- Antivibration Mounting. The majority of the microphone sets has a simple mount for a microphone stand. We recommend you to buy an anti-vibration mount. Almost most microphones are suitable for Neewer Universal Shock Mount Holder. It isolates the microphone from strong mechanical vibrations (from the floor), hitting the table with your hands (a cup, a book).
We hope you liked our list of Best USB Microphones which actual in 2017. So leave your questions in the comments section we’ll answer on each of them. You will also do a great favor for us if you share this post in your social profiles, as we spend a lot of time on the selection of each microphone.